The nominees for HJ’s coveted British Hairdresser of the Year award have been announced – showcasing the wealth of talent and unshakeable passion within British hairdressing
This year Adam Reed, Angelo Seminara, Cos Sakkas, Darren Ambrose, Errol Douglas, Eugene Souleiman, Gary Hooker & Michael Young (Hooker & Young), Richard Ashforth, Robert Eaton and Sally Brooks wowed the British hairdressing industry, resulting in their nomination for the coveted title. This top ten received the closest voting cluster ever recorded in the award’s history, resulting in more nominees than ever before.
Nominated by top-tier hairdressers, influencers and UK and international press for their professional reputation, creative vision and their ability to act as an ambassador for British hairdressing, Executive Director of Hairdressers Journal International, Jayne Lewis Orr, said:
“British hairdressing has certainly faced its greatest ever challenge this year. It has been a testing time for us all and I have been so impressed with, but not surprised by, the industry’s continued professionalism, resilience and creativity. The British Hairdresser of the Year title has been the most sought-after for more than three decades. This year especially, it is recognition of the stylists at the forefront of this thriving, talented and professional community. The award not only cements the careers of exceptional hairdressers but consistently raises standards across our industry year-on-year.”
Since its inception in 1985, the title of HJ British Hairdresser of the Year has transformed exceptional stylists into either dynamic household names or meteoric hairdressing careers, previous winners include Trevor Sorbie, John Frieda, Umberto Giannini, Nicky Clarke, Charles Worthington, Antoinette Beenders, Beverley C and Sally Brooks to name a few.
The winner will be announced on Monday 30th November 2020 at JW Marriott Grosvenor House, Park Lane, alongside the winners in six specialist categories and nine regional categories, on the biggest night in the hairdressing calendar.
HJ’s 2020 British Hairdresser of the Year nominees:
- Adam Reed, session stylist and salon owner, a colourful, skilful character bridging consumer and hairdressing worlds
- Angelo Seminara, four times winner and one of the most captivating and original hair stylists of our time
- Cos Sakkas, third time nominee, an artistic talent and a legend within Toni & Guy
- Darren Ambrose, previous British Hairdresser of the Year winner 2015, a leader within session styling and hairdressing alike
- Errol Douglas, MBE, honoured by Her Majesty the Queen for services to hairdressing, multiple award winner and hairdressing superstar
- Eugene Souleiman, no words other than Eugene is a session stylist extraordinaire
- Gary Hooker and Michael Young, (Hooker & Young) 12th consecutive nomination of British Hairdressers of the Year and hairdressing’s most famous duo, stage-stars, creative inspiration and talented educators
- Richard Ashforth, first time nomination, well renowned in the hairdressing industry for his directional, forward thinking ideas, his belief in simplicity and commitment to beauty
- Rob Eaton, current British Hairdresser of the Year 2019 andone of the most current and renowned colourists of the moment
- Sally Brooks, two times winner ofBritish Hairdresser of the Year (2017 & 2018), Sally is a global stage and creative star, renowned hairdresser and a national hero following her hairdressing documentary that is reaching educationalists and parents across the UK.