BRITISH HAIRDRESSING AWARDS was held in London (UK) with 1,700 of the country’s finest hairstylists gathering at London’s glamorous Grosvenor House, a J W Marriott Hotel, for the industry event of the year.
Now in their fourth decade, the awards celebrate the very best in British hairdressing talent – an industry which contributes £7bn to the national economy and one which employs more than 300,000 people.
With nine regional and six specialist categories – as well as the ultimate award, British Hairdresser of the Year – the awards have launched the careers of a host of household names; from John Frieda, Nicky Clarke and Charles Worthington to Anthony Mascolo, Lisa Shepherd and Beverley C, as well as TV favourites Jamie Stevens and Andrew Barton.
As well as creating household names, the awards also provides a platform for the independent salons that make up the British high street – a win can skyrocket a local business.
This year’s ceremony was hosted by David Walliams, alongside Hairdressers Journal International’s executive director, Jayne Lewis-Orr.
Jayne says: “A British Hairdressing Award is the ultimate accolade in hairdressing and we couldn’t be more proud to present them to our winners today. The award demonstrates not only unabashed creativity and supreme technical skill, but also marks you out as one of the greatest hairdressers in the country.”
The 2016 British Hairdressing Award winners are:
- Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year: Julian Dalrymple, The Sitting Room, Ballymena
- Midlands Hairdresser of the Year: Nick Malenko and Sophie Beattie, Royston Blythe, Wolverhampton
- North Western Hairdresser of the Year: Marcello Moccia, Room 97 Creative Hairdressing, Wakefield
- Scottish Hairdresser of the Year: Suzie McGill and Dylan Brittain, Rainbow Room International, Uddingston
- North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Joseph Ferraro, Joseph Ferraro, Harrogate
- Southern Hairdresser of the Year: Anne Veck, Anne Veck Salons, Oxford
- Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year: Steven Smart, Smartest 73, Weston-Super-Mare
- Eastern Hairdresser of the Year: Joseph I’Anson and Lisa Graham, Mark Leeson, Mansfielf
- London Hairdresser of the Year: Luke Benson, D&J Ambrose, Pinner, Middlesex
- Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year: Indira Schauwecker, TONI & GUY, Covent Garden
- Newcomer of the Year: William Lamb, Daniel Granger Hairdressing, Northampton
- Men’s Hairdresser of the Year: Terri Kay and Andrea Giles, Mark Leeson, Mansfield
- Afro Hairdresser of the Year: Robert Eaton and Karla Ancliff-Smith, Russell Eaton, Leeds
- Artistic Team of the Year: Angelo Vallillo Academy, Nottingham
- Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year: Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds
- British Hairdresser of the Year: Angelo Seminara